There are many potential benefits of weight loss surgery, including:
- effective long-term weight loss
- improvement or resolution of obesity-related illnesses, such as high blood pressure or Type 2 diabetes
- lower risk for other chronic conditions that have obesity as a risk factor, such as heart disease and some cancers
- better overall quality of life
There are also risks that come with weight loss procedures.
- All surgical procedures come with some risk of complications, such as:
- wound infection
- blood loss
- After surgery, your body takes in fewer nutrients. Patients who undergo weight loss surgery are making a lifelong commitment to follow dietary guidelines and take supplements.
It is important to speak to your physician about all of the possible benefits and risks. You can also learn more in our online Integrated Learning Center.