At your first appointment, you will meet with a palliative care provider. Together, you will discuss all aspects of serious illness, including:
- Understanding your diagnosis
- Your goals and priorities for during and after your primary medical treatment
- Symptoms of your condition
- Side effects of your primary treatment
- Stress resulting from your diagnosis and/or treatment
- Mental, emotional and spiritual well-being
- Other questions or concerns you may have
Our focus is on understanding what support, relief and quality of life mean to you. Therefore, you can expect your appointment to last longer than a normal doctor’s visit.
After the appointment, our providers will coordinate with other members of your care team. This will help ensure that everyone involved in your care understands the support you are receiving from palliative care, as well as your goals for treatment. Our priority is to ensure that you receive seamless, coordinated service in all areas of your care.