Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Middlesex Health employees, patients, families, and stakeholders come from many different backgrounds. Understanding that each individual is unique—and appreciating those differences—make us stronger and allows for a more vibrant community.
Middlesex Health Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Purpose Statement
Middlesex Health values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and works to create a culture of excellence in which all patients, families, visitors, stakeholders, and staff feel valued, connected, treated fairly and safe, and where differences are both respected and supported.
Areas of Diversity
Diversity includes, but is not limited to:
- age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, race, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, culture, language, education, socio-economic status, physical ability, religious/spiritual beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.
Achieving our Purpose
Middlesex Health focuses its Diversity, Equity & Inclusion program in the following areas:
- Patient Experience | Provide culturally responsive care that promotes a climate of inclusion for patients and families.
- Workforce | Recruit and retain a diverse workforce by appreciating the values, skills, experiences, and abilities of everyone we employ. Educate and engage staff in learning opportunities to foster awareness and appreciation for the richness that diversity brings.
- Health Equity | Demonstrate a commitment to fair and equal access to healthcare through community partnerships and engagement of underrepresented groups.
- Partnership | Collaborate with stakeholder groups that support our diversity, equity and inclusion purpose. Ensure that our diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, actions, and results are transparent and synergistic.
Healthcare Equality Leader
As an extension of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion purpose, Middlesex Health has earned designation as a Human Rights Campaign LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader, as measured by the Healthcare Equality Index, a national LGBTQ benchmarking process for healthcare facilities’ LGBTQ policies and practices.
The LGBTQ+ Committee
Our LGBTQ+ Committee strives to provide a climate of safety, equity, and celebration of our LGBTQ+ patients, community, and workforce.
At Middlesex Health, we recognize the importance of health centers in our community and thank them for the care they provide to millions of Americans each year. Health centers focus on increasing access to high quality health care services for everyone, regardless of ability to pay.
Health Centers around CT are hosting celebratory events all week—find one near you!