During the COVID-19 emergency, we are taking extra steps to protect moms, babies and families.
The following guidelines have been put in place to best protect our families and our staff while still ensuring a safe and positive birth experience. In rare cases, exceptions may be considered.
- All patients who have established care with a Middlesex Health provider and arrive at the Pregnancy & Birth Center for labor, induction of labor, or a C-section are allowed ONE support person.
- This support person must be symptom free. This person may be screened for respiratory symptoms and fever.
- This support person will NOT be allowed to return to the Pregnancy & Birth Center if they leave the Center at any time prior to the patient's discharge. This includes leaving the Center to go to the cafeteria or to go home for clothes or other supplies. Please be sure to bring everything the support person will need during the hospital stay at the time of admission.
- The Pregnancy & Birth Center team will work with the hospital's dietary services department to ensure meals are available for the support person without that person going to the cafeteria.
- Patients New to Middlesex Health: If you arrive at Middlesex Hospital in labor but are not currently under the care of a Middlesex Health provider, your support person will not be able to come into the hospital/Pregnancy & Birth Center.
- Doulas: If a patient has a certified Doula, the Doula will be able to attend the birth IN ADDITION TO the one designated support person. The Doula will also be screened for symptoms, and Pregnancy & Birth Center nurses may ask to see the Doula's certification.
While in Labor
After Baby is Born
- Until further notice, no visitors or additional support persons are allowed to visit after labor.
- This includes siblings. We encourage the use of FaceTime or other types of video call for siblings eager to talk to mom and meet their newest family member.
Triage & Outpatient Arrivals
- If you arrive at a Middlesex Health facility for evaluation or as an outpatient, support persons or visitors will not be allowed to enter with you.
- HOWEVER, if you are admitted for labor or for a C-section, your support person will be allowed in. This person may be screened for symptoms at that time.
- For more COVID-19 information from the Pregnancy & Birth Center, click here.
- For general COVID-19 information from Middlesex Health, click here.