The Daisy Award
The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune SYstem) Award is an international recognition program that honors and celebrates the skillful, compassionate care nurses provide every day.
The DAISY Foundation was established by the family of J. Patrick Barnes after he died from complications of the auto-immune disease ITP in 1999. During his hospitalization, they deeply appreciated the care and compassion shown to Patrick and his entire family. When he died, they felt compelled to say “thank you” to nurses in a very public way. Please say thank you by sharing your story of how a nurse made a difference you will never forget!
The DAISY Award is a wonderful opportunity to thank a nurse who has made a difference in your life - or in the life of a loved one.
How are DAISY Award winners honored?
DAISY Award Honoree will be recognized at a public ceremony in her/his unit and will receive:
- a beautiful certificate
- a DAISY Award pin
- a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled A Healer’s Touch
Additionally, everyone in the unit will celebrate with cinnamon rolls – a favorite of Patrick’s during his illness. The Barnes Family asks that whenever and wherever nurses smell that wonderful cinnamon aroma, they stop for a moment and think about how special they are.
Who can I contact with questions about the nomination process?
If you have questions or need assistance with the nomination process, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Great Save Award recognizes someone who went above and beyond their usual job duties to prevent a patient from being harmed. It also can be given when a system or process is identified that can be improved to reduce the risk of harm to our patients.
The Great Serve is an award that focuses on recognizing individual or team efforts that truly go "above and beyond" our Core Values and service standards and makes a very meaningful and positive impact on the patient experience, service excellence, and customer satisfaction.
Professional Practice Awards
Every year during Nurses Week, we honor nurses in our organization with Professional Practice Awards. Nurses are nominated by their peers, leadership, or anyone in the organization. In addition, one award goes to a "Partner in Care" which highlights an employee outside of nursing.
- Scholarly Inquiry - Lisa Lee, BSN, RN, CCRP ~ Cardiac Rehab
- Rising Star - Alarie Contillo, BSN, RN ~ North 5
- Professional Practice - Patty Esposito, BSN, RN ~ North 5
- Transformational Leader - Sheri Sienkiewicz BSN, RN, CEN ~ Manager, Marlborough ED
- Professional Practice - Bryce Brestelli BSN, RN ~ Westbrook ED
- Exemplary Service - Erin Ireton, BSN, RN ~ South 7
- Mentorship - Joseph Lee BSN, RN ~ CCU
- Foundation of Teamwork - Katherine Riddell, BSN, RN ~ CCU
- Professional Practice - Peggy Patinella, ADN, RN ~ Outpatient Infusion
- Ethical Nursing Practice - Gabriele Bartunek, ADN, RN - South 7
- Preceptor of the Year - Fernanda Goncalves BSN, RN ~ South 6
- Nursing Team Award - Middletown ED
- Innovation in Advanced Practice - Monika Kielyta, APRN ~ Hospice
- Partner in Care - Ryan Boutin, DO ~ Hospital Medicine