Bee sting


An injury caused by a bee's venom.


A bee sting is an injury caused by a bee's venom.


Reactions range from pain and swelling at the sting site to a life-threatening allergic reaction.


Pain and swelling usually clear up in a few hours. Severe allergic reactions can cause difficulty breathing, tongue swelling, nausea, dizziness, and unconsciousness, and require emergency care.

Last Updated Nov 8, 2023

© 2024 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. Terms of Use