Drink lots of fluids, especially water. You could try cranberry juice or Vitamin C drinks to acidify the urine. Providers may treat over the phone in uncomplicated cases.
When to make a doctor's appointment
Make an appointment to see a doctor or other health care professional if:
- Pain while passing urine doesn't stop.
- Unusual fluid or drainage comes out of the penis or vagina.
- The urine looks cloudy or bloody, or it smells bad.
- Painful urination happens with fever, kidney or bladder stones, or pain in the back or side.
- The pain happens during pregnancy.
Last Updated May 20, 2023