Ear pain


Self-care options include a warm, moist compress on the ear and over-the-counter pain drugs, but be sure to follow label directions. Don't give aspirin to children.

When to seek immediate medical care

See a doctor immediately if:

  • An adult
  • Discharge of fluid, pus or blood from ear
  • Severe pain
  • Difficulty hearing

When to make a doctor's appointment

Make an appointment to see a doctor if:

  • Fever
  • Lasts more than one day
  • Child is irritable and restless
  • Ability to hear gets worse over time

Last Updated May 25, 2018

Content from Mayo Clinic ©1998-2020 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. Terms of Use