Electric shock


An electric shock can be life-threatening. Call 911 or a local emergency number if the source of the burn is a high-voltage wire or lightning.


Life-threatening symptoms include severe burns, no heartbeat, no breathing, muscle pain and contractions, seizures, and unconsciousness.


Even someone with minor injuries or no symptoms should be checked by a doctor for internal injuries.

Last Updated Jun 13, 2017

Content from Mayo Clinic ©1998-2020 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. Terms of Use