Eating nutritiously and maintaining a healthy weight can help strengthen joints and reduce strain on them. As directed by a doctor, low-impact exercises can reduce injury risk and improve fitness.

When to make a doctor's appointment

See a doctor if:

  • Sudden change in ability to move a joint
  • Joint suddenly misshapen
  • Joint pain

Last Updated May 26, 2018

Content from Mayo Clinic ©1998-2020 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. Terms of Use