Kidney pain

When to seek immediate medical care

See a doctor immediately if:

  • Sudden and severe
  • Blood in urine
  • Fever or chills

When to make a doctor's appointment

Make an appointment to see a doctor if:

  • One-sided pain that's constant or worsens
  • Body aches
  • Recent urinary tract infection

Last Updated May 25, 2018

Content from Mayo Clinic ©1998-2021 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. Terms of Use