Sit up and lean forward. Gently blow the nose. Pinch the nose shut for 10 to 15 minutes. If the nose keeps bleeding, pinch for 10 to 15 minutes more.
When to seek immediate medical care
Seek emergency help if the nosebleed:
- Lasts for more than 30 minutes.
- Involves more blood than expected.
- Causes breathing problems.
- Happens after an accident or getting hurt, such as after a hit to the head.
- Happens in a child under age 2.
When to make a doctor's appointment
See a health care provider if:
- The nosebleeds happen often, even if they're easy to stop.
Last Updated Nov 30, 2022