Trouble moving a body part, usually a joint.
Bathe in warm water. Place a warm compress on the affected area for 20 minutes. Gently stretch. Do range-of-motion exercises before bed.
When to seek immediate medical care
See a healthcare professional right away for:
- Sudden stiffness that locks the joint in place.
- Severe joint pain.
When to make a doctor's appointment
See a healthcare professional if stiffness happens:
- More often over time and limits activities.
- Along with pain while trying to move a joint.
- While standing and walking after sitting for a while.
- In the arms, leg or low back in the morning for over an hour.
- Along with a fever, chills, weight loss or general sense of not feeling well.
Last Updated Sep 7, 2023