Video: Baked hush puppies
Baked hush puppies
Tip: This old-school favorite gets a healthy update with Greek yogurt and no frying.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon canola oil.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped onions.
- Saute until soft and tender.
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- Add 1 cup cornmeal.
- Add 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
- Add 1/3 cup low-fat milk.
- Add 2 eggs.
- Add 1 tablespoon baking powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Add cooked onions.
- Mix well until fairly thick.
- Place 1/4 cup into each muffin slot.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes at 400 F.
Created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program.
Last Updated Mar 15, 2018