Video: Barley risotto with asparagus
Barley risotto with asparagus
Tip: This is best with seasonal vegetables. Try summer squash, butternut squash, carrots or peppers.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Saute 1 cup finely diced onion.
- Add 3 cups cooked barley.
- Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic.
- Add 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth.
- Stir continuously until liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine.
- Alternate another 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup wine.
- Add 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms.
- Add 2 cups chopped asparagus.
- Add 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme.
- Cook until softened.
- Add final 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup half-and-half.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir to combine.
Created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program.