Video: French onion soup
French onion soup
Tip: Try serving this soup in traditional French fashion. Top each bowl with toasted bread or croutons.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add 6 cups chopped onions.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes until caramelized.
- Add 6 cups low-sodium beef broth.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Add 2 tablespoons fresh thyme.
- Add 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add 2 bay leaves.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add 2 ounces Gruyere cheese.
- Place bowls on baking sheet.
- Broil for 1 minute until cheese melts.
Created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program.