Video: Quibebe soup
Tip: Quibebe is a thick, squash-based South American soup. If you can't find fresh Fresno chili peppers, used dried red pepper flakes instead. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more to taste.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add 2 cups chopped onions.
- Add 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes.
- Add 2 Fresno chili peppers.
- Add 1 1/2 garlic cloves.
- Saute for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock.
- Add 1 butternut squash.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until squash is tender.
- Place ingredients into blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Sprinkle 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.
- Sprinkle parsley before serving.
Created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program.