Video: Spinach and mushroom souffle
Spinach and mushroom souffle
Tip: When you cook with pungent cheeses, you only need a small amount for strong flavor, which saves on calories and fat.
- Coat 4 8-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon melted unsalted butter.
- Add 6 cups spinach.
- Add 2 cups crimini mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/3 cups skim milk.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons cold water.
- Add cornstarch mixture to hot milk.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a light boil and reduce heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese.
- Pour mixture over cooked vegetables.
- Add pinch ground nutmeg.
- Whip 3 egg whites until firm.
- Add firm egg whites.
- Place equal portions into ramekins.
- Bake 30 minutes at 375 F.
Created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program.
Last Updated Mar 20, 2018