Braised chicken with mushrooms and pearl onions
Did you know that some poultry producers "enhance" their chicken with a salty solution? To keep within your salt limits, check the ingredient label on poultry and avoid products that list salt, brine, broth or stock.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, about 3/4 pound total weight, each cut in half crosswise (should be 4 pieces total)
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3/4 pound total)
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken legs (about 3/4 pound total)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pound small white button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 pound peeled pearl onions
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup port or dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
In a shallow dish, stir together the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour.
In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.
Add the shallot to the pan and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and saute until they begin to pick up some brown color, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the stock and wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits. Return the chicken to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Stir in vinegar, chopped thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, divide the vegetables among warmed shallow individual bowls. Top each portion with 2 pieces of chicken, 1 light meat and 1 dark. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Total carbohydrate: 18 g
Cholesterol: 146 mg
Dietary fiber: 2 g
Monounsaturated fat: 6 g
Protein: 41 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Serving size: 2 pieces of chicken (1 light, 1 dark)
Sodium: 172 mg
Total fat: 12 g
DASH Eating Plan Servings
Fats and oils: 1
Grains and grain products: 1/2
Meats, poultry and fish: 5
Diabetes Meal Plan Choices
Meat and meat substitutes: 5
Nonstarchy vegetables: 2
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings
Protein and dairy: 2
Last Updated Sep 9, 2017