Chicken stir-fry with eggplant, basil and ginger
This colorful main dish requires a fair amount of chopping, but the cooking takes only minutes. Wait to cut up the eggplant until just before cooking to prevent discoloration.
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock or broth, divided
- 3 green (spring) onions, including tender green tops, 2 coarsely chopped and 1 thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small eggplant, with peel, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
In a blender or food processor, combine the basil, mint, 1/4 cup stock, chopped green onions, garlic and ginger. Pulse until the mixture is minced but not pureed. Set aside.
In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, yellow onion and bell peppers and saute until the vegetables are just tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the basil mixture and saute for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken strips and soy sauce and saute until the chicken is almost opaque throughout, about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining 1/2 cup stock and bring to a boil. Return the eggplant mixture to the pan and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with the sliced green onion. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Total carbohydrate: 14 g
Cholesterol: 83 mg
Dietary fiber: 4 g
Monounsaturated fat: 6 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Serving size: About 2 cups
Sodium: 395 mg
Total fat: 10 g
DASH Eating Plan Servings
Meats, poultry and fish: 4
Diabetes Meal Plan Choices
Meat and meat substitutes: 4
Nonstarchy vegetables: 3
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings
Protein and dairy: 2
Last Updated Sep 8, 2017