Creamy beef enchiladas
Vegetables fill in for these almost meatless enchiladas.
- 4 ounces 93/7 lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 8 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light soy milk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional garnish)
Heat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease 9x13-inch casserole dish.
Cook ground beef; strain fat. Set aside.
To make sauce: Toast spices for 2 minute or until fragrant. Add chicken stock and sour cream and bring to boil. Dissolve cornstarch in soy milk then add to the mixture and slowly return to a boil. Remove from heat.
Heat oil in pan and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add onion to pan, and saute until lightly brown. Add zucchini and peppers and cook 2 minutes longer while stirring. Remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, ground beef and 2 tablespoon of sauce. Mix well.
To assemble: Lay tortillas flat and lightly brush with a small amount of sauce. Place about 1/4 cup of filling mixture in each tortilla and roll up lightly. Place rolled tortillas in casserole dish. Top with remaining sauce. Grate cheese over the top.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 F. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Total carbohydrate: 34 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Monounsaturated fat: 2
Protein: 12 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Serving size: 2 enchiladas
Sodium: 227 mg
Total fat: 9 g
DASH Eating Plan Servings
Grains and grain products: 2
Meats, poultry and fish: 1
Nuts, seeds and dry beans: 1
Diabetes Meal Plan Choices
Meat and meat substitutes: 1
Nonstarchy vegetables: 2
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings
Protein and dairy: 1
Last Updated Jun 5, 2015