- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces shredded gruyere cheese
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes until caramelized. Add the broth, water, thyme, soy sauce, bay leaves and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
Preheat the oven to broil. Pour soup into 8 individual oven-proof soup bowls and top with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil soup for about 1 minute until cheese is melted; serve.