Instant couscous may be prepared by pouring boiling water over it and letting it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley, basil or oregano for garnish (optional)
Cook couscous according to preparation instructions on the package.
When couscous is cooked, fluff with fork. Mix in zucchini, bell pepper, onion, cumin and black pepper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Pour over the couscous mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Total carbohydrate: 21 g
Dietary fiber: 4 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated fat: 0.5 g
Serving size: About 2/3 cup
Sodium: 3 mg
Total fat: 4 g
DASH Eating Plan Servings
Fats and oils: 1
Grains and grain products: 1
Diabetes Meal Plan Choices
Nonstarchy vegetables: 1
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings
Last Updated Aug 9, 2019