- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 rib celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 carrot, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light soy milk
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 2 ounces (about 2/3 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
Add oil to a large skillet, and over medium-low heat slowly cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic, cauliflower and squash. Continue cooking until onion become translucent. Add broth and bring to boil.
Use a blender to puree vegetable mixture until completely smooth. Blend in batches. Be careful with the hot vegetables and make sure to not overfill the blender. Return to skillet and simmer.
In a separate large skillet, combine soy milk and flour. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add hot vegetable puree, whisking constantly with wire whip. Bring to a simmer.
Add Parmesan and cheddar cheese. Turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted.
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. Drain and combine with sauce. Serve.