- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon merlot wine
- 6 stalks asparagus, cut into 1-inch sections
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chopped bibb lettuce
- 2 roasted red peppers (from a can), sliced
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat croutons
In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions. Saute until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute — taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates completely, about 1 minute.
In a pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the asparagus. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add the blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, water and black pepper. Whisk to mix thoroughly. (Just before drizzling the dressing over the salad, whisk again.)
Add 3 cups of lettuce to each plate. Top each with 1/2 the mushroom mixture, 1/2 the asparagus, 1/2 the roasted red pepper, 1/2 the blue cheese dressing mixture and 1/4 cup croutons. Serve immediately.